Sunday, July 20, 2014

Easy Bento w/out Decorations

Tonight I made a bento box out of my leftovers from dinner. Super easy and sans embellishment.
The main course is acorn squash and roasted red potatoes. 
Cottage cheese in one slot.

Garlic hummus and pretzel crisps in another slot.
Yogurt with homemade fruit compote in the last slot.
Garnish the box with sliced cheery tomatoes and cucumbers. Viola! Simple lunch that is filling and tasty. 
Acorn squash is easy. Just cut the squash length wise and com in a pan. (Cut side down) for 45 minutes. Turn the squash over and put butter and brown sugar in each side. Cook another 15 minutes.
Roasted red potatoes are also easy. 
I cut my red potatoes into fours. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and Italian spices. Cook on 350 for 45 minutes as well.
For a fruit compote, grab a bag of frozen fruit (I use strawberries and blueberries) and put in a sauce pan. Add a little water and a tablespoon of sugar. Simmer until the compote is the consistency you want it. I add my compote to toast and yogurts. I prefer Noosa yogurt, but any yogurt will do, obviously. 
To make this bento box more interesting, you can separate the squash and red potatoes with a plastic bento grass divider and add fun toothpicks to the potatoes. You can also cut carrot and cheese flowers and sprinkle them around. I'm short on time tonight, so I skipped the decorations and focused on the meal. Tomorrow, we will create a box that is decorative! 

No comments:

Post a Comment